Online Master of Public Administration (MPA)
At a Glance
- Graduate in two years, part-time
- 100% online
- Three starts per year
- Three tracks to choose from: Government Management, Healthcare Administration, and Nonprofit Management
- Credits Required: 42
- Cost Per Credit: $927*
- Total Tuition Cost: $38,934*
*Tuition rate effective Fall 2022.
- Next Start Date: September 7, 2022
- Application Deadline: August 24, 2022
An Online MPA Program That Helps Individuals Help Communities
The 100% online Master of Public Administration (MPA) program from Pace University’s Dyson College of Arts and Sciences prepares working professionals and aspiring administrators to lead in public service. Our students gain the skills to qualify for multifaceted positions that utilize complex administrative, policy, and organizational processes. Our coursework effectively prepares students to apply what they learn in the classroom to their current and future work environments.
Our dedicated and experienced faculty will aid students in capitalizing on their own unique strengths so they can graduate confident in their ability to lead and manage in public governance, healthcare organizations, and nonprofits. Students will sharpen critical thinking and data analysis experience, build on oral and written communication skills, master the art of compromise, and gain experience applying real-world solutions and theoretical concepts to community-based problems.
Students will become experts at articulating and applying the public service values and perspectives needed to communicate and interact productively with a diverse and ever-changing workforce and constituency. Additionally, they will learn to identify, interpret, and articulate data and research that is pertinent to helping individuals and communities, influencing systemic change within government, healthcare, and nonprofit organizations.
Expand your global perspective with our short-term study abroad course to Oxford, England taught as PAA 644 Seminar in Government Management.
Please note, the PAA 644 Seminar in Government Management teaches other topics in addition to the travel abroad course.
To learn more about online Master of Public Administration, fill out the fields in this form to download a free brochure. If you have any questions at any time, please contact an admission advisor at (866) 853-4658.
The Pace MPA program fits perfectly into a full-time employee’s work day. The times of the classes, workload, and content are well balanced to maximize my education while respecting my full-time employment.
Marissa Mezzancello, MPA
Clinical Research Manager
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
The Government track is ideal for pre-service and in-service professionals interested in pursuing a public service career in the local, state and federal government. This track is also suitable for individuals who are interested in pursuing political careers. Our Government Management track graduates are employed as municipal and assistant municipal managers, chiefs of staff, school district business leaders, elected officials, budget analysists and directors as well as executive and program directors and coordinators in various public sector agencies.
(Online, On Campus)
The Healthcare Administration track is ideal for individuals occupying administrative positions in the health care industry, who are interested in advancing into leadership positions in organizations that provide public health services as well as in regulatory agencies in the healthcare field. Our Healthcare Administration track graduates are employed with state and local health agencies, and non-profit/for-profit healthcare organizations such as hospitals in the NYC-metro area including NYC-metro area Presbyterian, Mt. Sinai, Lenox Hill, Montefiore etc.
(Online, On Campus)
The Nonprofit Management track is geared toward public managers in the nonprofit sector with previous management experience or with advanced professional degrees. Students pursuing this MPA track can focus on three areas: managerial skills enhancement (for those in or preparing for a career as a manager or administrator of a non-profit organization); leadership development (designed for those interested in planning for and implementing social change); and social entrepreneurship (ideal for those in the private sector who have a particular interest in the social impact of for-profit business activities). Our Nonprofit Management track graduates are employed with varied sized-organizations in the areas of education, parks and recreation, community services, healthcare, immigration etc.
(Online, On Campus)
Upon graduation, online MPA students will be able to:
- Lead and manage in public, nonprofit, and healthcare governance.
- Participate in and contribute to the public policy process.
- Analyze, synthesize, think critically, solve problems, and make evidence-informed decisions in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Articulate and apply a public service perspective.
- Communicate and interact productively and in culturally-responsive ways with a diverse and changing workforce and society at-large.
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
“The government employs over 22 million people at the federal, state, and local levels.”
Career Opportunities for Online MPA Graduates
MPA graduates find a wide range of public service opportunities within government, healthcare, and nonprofit organizations. Below are a few examples of job titles that are relevant to MPA graduates.
- Administrative Coordinator
- Annual Fund Administrator
- Assistant City Manager
- Budget Analyst
- Budget Director
- Business Manager, School Districts
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief of Staff
- City Manager
- City Planner
- Commissioner of Finance
- Communication Strategist
- Healthcare Manager
Who Can Benefit
- Current and aspiring public management professionals
- Career changers
- Community/organization leaders
- Government employees
- Private sector employees who work closely with the public sector
- Recent college graduates
- Healthcare administrators
“Employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow 32% from 2020-2030, much faster than the national average.”
U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics
The mission of the Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program is to prepare pre-service and in-service students in the New York City metropolitan area, the state of New York, the U.S. and internationally to become value-driven public service leaders, managers and analysts by offering our graduates the knowledge of roles, values, skills, and practices that will help them become competent global leaders and professionals capable of effective, ethical, innovative, and creative leadership in the public service, in government, healthcare, and nonprofit organizations. Our MPA program draws on and values the diversity of our students, faculty, alumni and community, which contributes to the advancement of practice and scholarship in public administration, affairs and policy. The mission is realized through the pursuit of five goals:
- 1. Graduate competent professionals, leaders and analysts with effective, ethical, innovative and creative management and leadership skills in public service;
- 2. Demonstrate a research-based and community-based impact through generation, application and dissemination of knowledge that articulates, incorporates and balances economic public service values (e.g. efficiency, effectiveness, accountability, professionalism) with democratic ones (e.g. equity, fairness, transparency, responsiveness) to guide the actions of successful public administrators;
- 3. Emphasize the importance of practical experience through a) the use of analytical, managerial and research-based learning, b) opportunities for students to work with faculty on research both inside and outside the classroom, c) fostering the need for work experience in the application of public administration knowledge through Capstone projects and Internship experiences;
- 4. Nurture a sense of service to the community and the profession by a) partnering with key organizations and specialized research institutes, b) engaging with a wide, diverse and connected alumni network, and c) collaborating with world-class universities in the United States and abroad;
- 5. Promote a diverse and inclusive learning environment by aligning the MPA program with Pace University’s motto of Opportunitas by providing access to quality education for all students, including those from all backgrounds (ethnic/race, gender, country of origin, economic, cultural) and first generation college students.
“The nonprofit sector employs 24.0 million people, about 14% of the U.S. workforce.”