Because Pace Online programs are conducted nearly entirely online and are largely asynchronous, it is imperative that students meet all of the technical requirements below.
- A computer with sufficient memory and storage to support required software programs
- Reliable internet connection
Computer Hardware Specifications
|Intel Core i5 (6th gen. or higher) or Apple M1 Chip
|8.0 GB or higher
|250 GB or higher Solid State Drive or Flash Storage
|WiFi: 802.11ac or 802.11n
|Windows 10 (For info on Windows 8.1 support, please see note on Earlier Versions of Windows)
MacOS 10.14 or higher (see note in Recommended Vendors section above)
Laptop: Up to 10 hours of battery life
|Built-in or USB Webcam (720p resolution or higher)
|4-year warranty for PC
3-year warranty for Apple Care Mac
Note: Some Pace University courses use Windows-based software in their curriculum. Therefore, students with Apple computers who are taking these courses must have the Microsoft Windows operating system pre-installed on their Mac in order to complete the course requirements. In order to install Windows on a Mac, students will need software such as Bootcamp (already included on Macs), Parallels, or VMware Fusion. Check out our IT Discounts page for any available discounts on this software. After these requirements are met, ITS can assist with downloading Microsoft Office, if needed.
- Microsoft Office 2016 or higher
- Students are eligible for one copy of Microsoft Office and can access it here.
- Mozilla Firefox version 39 or above
- Classes can be accessed with most browsers, however, for full functionality, we recommend using Mozilla Firefox
- Chrome and Safari browsers are known to have compatibility issues with our internal systems and are not supported.
- Visit our IT Supported Applications page for more information.
- Ethernet adapter and Ethernet cable for wired connectivity
- External USB 3.0 hard drive for backing up work
- USB 3.0 flash drive for course work
- For newer laptops (ex. MacBook Pro 2016 model or later) with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports only, a USB-C to USB adapter
- USB headset with microphone (for improved audio experience) for Web Conferencing
Earlier Versions of Windows
Windows 8.1 users are still supported by ITS. However, Microsoft will be ending extended support of this operating system on 1/10/23. As of 1/14/20, the Windows 7 Operating System is now considered “End of Life” by Microsoft. ITS recommends the Windows 10 operating system to ensure compatibility with third party developers and programs. All PC manufacturers now sell their desktops & laptops solely with the Windows 10 operating system.
Incompatible Wireless Devices
The PACE-WIFI network requires that connecting devices meet WPA2-Enterprise specifications. Some personal consumer devices, such as wireless TVs, wireless printers, etc., do not meet the WPA2 standard and therefore are not compatible with our network. Please be sure to check whether your devices meet this specification before bringing them on-campus. Also, the connection of personal routers is not allowed on the Pace network.
Recommended Computer Configurations for Faculty/Staff
For work-related use, faculty and staff can learn about our current purchasing standards for Pace-owned equipment by visiting the IT Purchases – Department/University Funded page.
Technical assistance is available in-person, online, via phone, and email:
ITS Help Desk Regular Hours
- Monday–Thursday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 12–4 p.m.
To get started please select your program of choice from the dropdown menu. If you have any questions at any time, please contact us.